Total Pageviews

Monday, October 01, 2012

Task 2: Pin Holes (Theme: Reflection)

What is a pin hole camera?

   Pin hole camera is a camera without a lens and with a small hole (aperture) in one side of the box which creates an image of the outside space on the opposite side of the box.


How it works?

   To make a pin hole image, first I have to be in a dark room and attach a piece of photographic paper onto the opposite side of the pin hole (small box). Then find a place inside or outside where I want to make the pin hole image and uncover the pin hole. The camera requires long exposure. If I'm outside and the weather is sunny the exposure can takes 15 or 20 secs, but if the weather is cloudy maybe it takes about 35 or 45 secs. Then I shut the pin hole and I go back to the dark room to process and dry the negative image in the usual way. The theme of pin hole is REFLECTION because when the light passes through the pin hole it projects an inverted image. So if the light rays from an object come from the bottom that will project at the top and if the light rays come from the top that will project at the bottom. 















How I made a pin hole camera?


   I made my camera by using a double side black card which doesn't let light in. (But, i can use any household materials ex. beer can). First, I cut out two different size of shape from an A2 black card. The bigger is 8.5 cm and the smaller is 8.2 cm and 2x2 cm square from the bigger box. 





   When I measured out the size of the 2 box, I had to be very accurate because the 2 box should fit into each other. After I cut out everything with a box cutter, I bent the sides on both shape and sticked them together wit glue. I sticked in foil where the 2x2 cm hole was and then the teacher made the pin hole on it. Also, I put some electrician tape on the edges of the boxes. I used a piece of black card as a flap to cover and uncover the pin hole. After that, I sticked a handle on the smaller box which helps me to decide whether I'm doing a landscape or a portrait picture because I should place the photo paper inside the smaller box as the handle stands. Finally, I put some blue tack in the smaller box which holds the photographic paper. 






No comments:

Post a Comment