Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Task 1: Photograms (Theme: Emotions)

   When I'm making photograms I have to be in the dark room where no light gets in, to allow the processing of light sensitive photographic materials.


                                         enlarger  ->









What is a Photogram?

   A photogram is a type of contact print when I'm placing objects on light sensitive photographic paper and then exposing it with white light from an enlarger. So, I make an image without using a camera. The result is a negative image. Where the paper received no light appear white and the other areas of the paper which fully exposed appear black. The semi-transparent or transparent objects appear gray.

What things I can use to make a Photogram?

   I can use variety of objects and materials to create a unique photogram. Objects can be opaque (blocking the light completely),semi-transparent or transparent (blocking some of the light). 2D or 3D objects,drawings,cut paper. The materials can be naturally accruing,man made,wood,glass,paper etc. The main thing is to try create a dynamic composition using variety of objects/materials which evoke emotions or moods in people.


How I make a Photogram?

   First, I set the enlarger to the desired size of the paper. I use some tape to help define the printing area if the enlarger is switched off. Then I arrange the objects/different materials on the photo paper in my composition. I make sure the paper fits inside the defined area and then I expose with light for about 9 or 10 seconds. After that I have to process the photographic paper. The processing is 4 step:

   - Step 1: Developer: The developer converts the latent image to metalic silver. So, I place the paper in the developer tray for 1 min. I rock the edge of the tray to ensure there are no bubbles. The paper should be fully submerged.

   - Step 2: Stop Bath: Usually the stop bath is a dilute solution of acetic acid but it can be clean water. I remove the paper from the developer and I allow it to drip for a few secs. Then I place it in stop bath tray for 30 secs to stop the action of the developer. Rock the edge of the tray,ensure there are no bubbles and fully submerge the paper.
 
- Step 3: Fixer: The fixer (hypo) job is to dissolving any remaining silver halide salts from the paper. I remove the paper from the stop bath,I allow it to drip and then I place it in the fixer and process it for 4 mins. Rock the edge and fully submerge the paper.
 
 
- Step 4: Water rinse: The last step is the water rinse where I leave the paper in a clean water for 5 mins to remove any remaining fixer from the paper. After I finish the process I put the negative picture in a dry tray.


   Finally, I take the picture to the processing room to dry it in a dust-free environment. For drying, I use a dryer machine. The paper should go through 2x or 3x in the dryer. Then I place the image on a flat surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment